It was in the year 1899, on the 13th day of November , when the Bengal Nagpur Railway laid the foundation of this school. The name then was BNR European School and as the name suggests the gates were opened only to the children of the ruling European community. It was later that the Anglo Indian Community was allowed to send their children. The admissions of Indians became possible only after the end of India's epic fight for freedom. In the year 1943, the school was raised to the status of a High School preparing Students for the Senior Cambridge Examination. After Independence the school was renamed and was known as Anglo-Indian school till 1959. It received the name of S.E. RAILWAY MIXED HIGH SCHOOL(EM)later. The school was then affillated to the Council for Indian School Certificate Examination, New Delhi. In 1975 the High School was upgraded to the plus two level. Presently the school run three streams in +2 level, namely Science,Humanities and Commerce. At present the student strength is about 900. The School has been adjudged the BEST SCHOOL in S.E.Railway eight times. The school is going strong, upholding the glory of the past and laying a sound foundation for the future.Till 1935 all teachers were European or Anglo Indians. In 1936 Miss G.Bagchi joined in this school as a Geography teacher. She was the FIRST Indian School Staff and Mr. B.N.Roy was the first Head of the Instituinon (from Febuary 1961).